7/12/2011 – During an hour-long public radio program Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed said that the Pennsylvania DA’s Association is taking no position on the medical marijuana bill. Freed explained the stance on WITF’s Radio Smart Talk , “I don’t think any prosecutor I know would want to prevent a terminally ill person from alleviating [their] suffering.”
Later in the program Freed reinforced the position, “I don’t think that medical marijuana is necessarily a law enforcement issue. I think that advocates like Chris need to go to the Legislature and what happens there …happens.”
SB1003/HB 1653, The Governor Raymond P. Shaffer Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act, is waiting for committee votes in both houses. The bill was re-named this year to honor the former Republican governor who asked President Nixon to remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act in 1972.
In a rare, comprehensive discussion the Radio Smart Talk program covered medical marijuana, decriminalization and full legalization. Questions from the callers ran the gamut from supporting reform measures to blaming the Greek economic crisis on weed.
Read more at Freedomisgreen.com
- NJ Legislators Support New Marijuana Decrim Bill
- Maine Gov LePage Signs Medical Marijuana Privacy Law
- PA Medical Marijuana Bill Named After Gov Shafer
- NJ, RI Hold Back Multi-Million Dollar Marijuana Centers
- NYC Weed-smoking Moms Come Out
- Miss USA Alyssa Campanella for Medical Marijuana…Like, Kinda
- How to Help Women Behind Bars for Marijuana
- THC Tunnel Vision Limits Therapeutic Cannabis Variety
- Scientists Uncover How CBD Treats MS, Alters Cholesterol Metabolism
- Cannabis Laboratories: The Testing Landscape in America
Chris Goldstein is a respected marijuana reform advocate. As a writer and radio broadcaster he has been covering cannabis news for over a decade. Questions? email@example.com